Lake County Council on Aging

(440) 205-8111
8520 East Ave, Mentor, OH 44060
9:00-4:00 Monday-Friday

Social Work Services

Non-Medical In-Home Care Services

This service provides in-home care for income qualified older adults who are not eligible for traditional Medicaid based programs, but cannot afford to pay privately for the personal care they need. Lake County seniors ages 60+ who meet program eligibility guidelines may receive a two hour visit once per week from a home care aide to assist with personal care and other included services.

Caregivers may assist a client with the following services according to their care plan:

Personal Care:

  1. Bathing
  2. Personal hygiene and grooming assistance
  3. Basic nail and skin care
  4. Oral hygiene
  5. Toileting
  6. Bathroom sanitation: general cleaning and emptying commode or catheter bags.

Non-Personal Care:

  1. Changing bed linens
  2. Removing trash
  3. Washing, drying, folding and putting away laundry
  4. Vacuuming, sweeping and mopping floors
  5. Kitchen sanitation: washing dishes, cleaning appliances and kitchen surfaces
  6. Washing inside windows within reach from the floor
  7. Planning and preparing meals

A Council on Aging Social Worker will help you determine if you meet these criteria. Eligible clients will be assigned to a contracted home healthcare agency.   Caregivers will provide assistance or supervision with bathing.  They may assist with the following services according to a care plan: basic nail and skin care, oral hygiene, light housekeeping, laundry, changing bed linens and planning and preparing meals.  Non-Medical care is the only service provided. Caregivers do have service limitations and cannot assist with things like skilled medical care, medication management, or transportation.

How to Get Started…

Our Information & Assistance (I&A) Specialists are the first point of contact for information about our programs and services. When you connect with us online via our ‘Send Us a Message’ Contact Form, an I&A Specialist will contact you back via the preferred method of contact you designate on the form.  Or, if you prefer, you may call us at (440) 205-8111 and ask to speak to an I&A Specialist regarding your needs.